Latin is said to be the mother language of all the romantic languages – French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Romanian. Latin was originally spoken in Rome and the surrounding areas. But through the expansion of the Roman Republic, it became the dominant language in Italy, and eventually throughout the Roman Empire. It is often asked, why learn a language that has not had any native speakers for over 1000 years? Well, there many benefits of learning Latin, and some say if you want to learn a second language, learn Latin.
Benefits of learning Latin include:
- The study of Latin improves English vocabulary, grammar, syntax, and writing skills.
- Understanding Latin enhances the enjoyment of reading literature.
- Learning Latin leads to a greater understanding of Western History.
- Latin enhances analytical, logical processing, and critical thinking skills.
- Learning to read Latin promotes greater focus, concentration, and patience.
- Learning Latin encourages non-linear, “outside-the-box” thinking.
Ready to start learning Latin? Enroll in one of the top-rated online Latin courses below. Not sure about learning Latin? Fair enough, you can browse through more of UWNIE’s excellent online language courses here. Have fun!
Best Online Latin Courses
Created by Benedict Atchley
Rating: 4.6 out of 5 (543+ ratings)
3,637+ students enrolled
Learn the basics of Classical Latin for beginners. Students will learn basic Latin grammar and syntax as well as a comprehensive vocabulary. Highly recommended.
- Learn to read and write in Latin.
- Learn a large vocabulary of Latin words and phrases.
- And much more!
“I am impressed by the way Benedict teaches us the subject. I really have fun while studying and I cannot enjoy it more! Highly recommend this course for everyone.”
“It’s great. Just what I’ve wanted for years. Nice price and I love doing it. The tutor is excellent.”
“You are amazing! It is fun and I wish to learn more. I am able to construct some easy sentences by myself now, thanks to you.”
Reviews from students of this course.
Created by David Quentin Dauthier
Rating: 5.0 out of 5 (88+ ratings)
536+ students enrolled
Excellent course that will teach you how to read Ecclesiastical Latin texts clearly, confidently and correctly. Stunning course and highly recommended!
- Learn how to read Ecclesiastical Latin aloud with with correct pronunciation.
“The first time I’ve run across anyone who cares to teach pronunciation of Ecclesiastical Latin with such passion. I am looking forward to this course! Deo Gratias!”
“Course is excellent. Just what I needed.”
“It was a great course. The tutor is precise and clear. I look forward to more courses in ecclesiastical Latin. Excellent.”